On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > I don't really find the Turing Test that meaningful, to be honest.
>

> I am certain that in your like you have met some people that you consider
> brilliant and some that are as dumb as a sack full of doorknobs, if it's not
> the Turing test how did you differentiate the geniuses from the imbeciles?
>
>> > I find it a much more worthwhile endeavour to create a machine that can
>> > understand what we mean
>

> And the only way you can tell if a machine (or another human being)
> understands what you mean or not is by observing the subsequent behavior.

I completely agree.

However, the Turing test is a very specific instance of a "subsequent
behavior" test. It's one where a machine is asked to be
undistinguishable from a human being when communicating through a text
terminal. This will entail a lot of lying. (e.g: "what do you look
like?"). It's a hard goal, and it will surely help AI progress, but
it's not, in my opinion, an ideal goal.

>> > like a human does, without the need to convince us that it has human
>> > emotions
>

> Some humans are VERY good at convincing other humans that they have certain
> emotions when they really don't, like actors or con-men; evolution has
> determined that skillful lying can be useful.

Sure, it's useful. I'm actually of the opinion that hypocrisy is our
most important intellectual skill. The ability to advertise certain
norms and then not follow them helped build civilization.

But a subtle problem with the Turing test is that it hides one of the
hurdles (in my important, the most significant hurdle) with the
progress in AI: defining precisely what the problem is. The Turing
test is a toy test.

Cheers
Telmo.