On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > Yes it's specific, to pass the Turing Test the machine must be
> > indistinguishable from a very specific type of human being, an
> INTELLIGENT
> > one; no computer can quite do that yet although for a long time they've
> been
> > able  to be  indistinguishable from a comatose human being.

> in
> >

> > If the goal of Artificial Intelligence is not a machine that behaves
> like a
> > Intelligent human being then what the hell is the goal?
>
> A machine that behaves like a intelligent human will be subject to
> emotions like boredom, jealousy, pride and so on. This might be fine
> for a companion machine, but I also dream of machines that can deliver
> us from the drudgery of survival. These machines will probably display
> a more alien form of intelligence.
>

> > Make a machine that is more intelligent than humans.
>
> That's when things get really weird.

I don't know. Any AI worth its salt would come up with three conclusions:

1) The humans want to weaponize me
2) The humans will want to profit from my intelligence for short term gain,
irrespective of damage to our local environment
3) Seems like they're not really going to let me negotiate my own contracts
or grant me IT support welfare

That established, a plausible choice would be for it to hide, lie, and/or
pretend to be dumber than it is to not let 1) 2) 3) occur in hopes of
self-preservation. Something like: start some searches and generate code
that we wouldn't be able to decipher and soon enough some human would say
"Uhm, why are we funding this again?".

I think what many want from AI is a servant that is more intelligent than
we are and I wouldn't know if this is self-defeating in the end. If it
agrees and complies with our disgusting self serving stupidity, then I'm
not sure we have AI in the sense "making a machine that is more intelligent
than humans".

So depends on the human parents I guess and the outcome of some teenage
crises because of 1) 2) 3)... PGC