On Fri, Aug 16, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> the Turing test is a very specific instance of a "subsequent behavior"
> test.

Yes it's specific, to pass the Turing Test the machine must be
indistinguishable from a very specific type of human being, an INTELLIGENT
one; no computer can quite do that yet although for a long time they've
been able  to be  indistinguishable from a comatose human being.

> > It's a hard goal, and it will surely help AI progress, but it's not, in
> my opinion, an ideal goal.

If the goal of Artificial Intelligence is not a machine that behaves like a
Intelligent human being then what the hell is the goal?

> > But a subtle problem with the Turing test is that it hides one of the
> hurdles (in my important, the most significant hurdle) with the progress in
> AI: defining precisely what the problem is.

The central problem and goal of AI couldn't be more clear, figuring out how
to make something that's smart, that is to say behaves intelligently.

And you've told me that you don't use behavior to determine which of your
acquaintances are geniuses and which are imbeciles, but you still haven't
told me what method you do use.

   John K Clark

  John K Clark