On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 8/16/2013 1:25 PM, John Clark wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
>> > the Turing test is a very specific instance of a "subsequent behavior"
>> > test.
>

> Yes it's specific, to pass the Turing Test the machine must be
> indistinguishable from a very specific type of human being, an INTELLIGENT
> one; no computer can quite do that yet although for a long time they've been
> able  to be  indistinguishable from a comatose human being.
>

>> > It's a hard goal, and it will surely help AI progress, but it's not, in
>> > my opinion, an ideal goal.
>

> If the goal of Artificial Intelligence is not a machine that behaves like a
> Intelligent human being then what the hell is the goal?

A machine that behaves like a intelligent human will be subject to
emotions like boredom, jealousy, pride and so on. This might be fine
for a companion machine, but I also dream of machines that can deliver
us from the drudgery of survival. These machines will probably display
a more alien form of intelligence.

> Make a machine that is more intelligent than humans.

That's when things get really weird.

Telmo.