On 8/21/2013 2:42 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    Ok, and I'm fascinated by the question of why we haven't found viable
    algorithms in that class yet -- although we know has a fact that it
    must exist, because our brains contain it.

We haven't proved our brain is computational in nature, if we had, then we would had proven computationalism to be true... it's not the case. Maybe our brain has some non computational shortcut for that, maybe that's why AI is not possible, maybe our brain has this "realness" ingredient that computations alone lack. I'm not saying AI is not possible, I'm just saying we haven't proved that "our brains contain it".

There's another possibility: That our brains are computational in nature, but that they also depend on interactions with the environment (not necessarily quantum entanglement, but possibly). When Bruno has proposed replacing neurons with equivalent input-output circuits I have objected that while it might still in most cases compute the same function there are likely to be exceptional cases involving external (to the brain) events that would cause it to be different. This wouldn't prevent AI, but it would prevent exact duplication and hence throw doubt on ideas of duplication experiments and FPI.