It's probably already been discussed at length on this list, and if it has
my apologies, but isn't the incredibly massive parallelism of the brains
architecture a possible factor and that the mind is an emergent phenomena
made possible by amongst other things the subtle interplay of neuron firing
networks dynamically racing back and forth in the brain - all the time and
on a scale that is hard to begin to even grasp. Can anyone really say that
the possible transient branches a dynamic and itself transient network of
neural activity can really be determined by any possible program no matter
how detailed? Throw in mirror neurons and the subtle dynamic effects that
these networks within networks produce as they interact with the other
manifesting waves of neural activity that precede our conscious awareness.

Isn't it possible that very subtle and surprising unexpected effects can
emerge from a network as vast and multi centered as the neural nets seem to
be in brains. Brains also introduce the layer of chemical signal processing
- neurotransmitters. A lot of subtle effects could emerge out of this
interface (trillions of synaptic connections mediated by this very rapid wet
chemical process).

The mind emerges from the brain, but it is not reducible to the brain; as
water emerges from the elements Oxygen and Hydrogen, but is not reducible to
them - i.e. cannot be fully described only by knowing about its constituent
atoms.

When networks become vast and offer a huge number of paths by which signals
may travel often subtle interactions can occur as messages are bounced
around and changed from node to node.  Different and often potentially
random network paths enlisted in  in participating in rapidly forming and
dissolving massively parallel consensus building algorithms - which I
believe is being shown to be an important factor in how the physical brain
operates - could produce different outcomes that could affect whether and
how a quorum is arrived at and the ultimate outcome of any given single
dynamic instance of a thought wave (the waves upon waves, upon waves of
synchronized neural firings that go into even a single simple thought is an
astronomically huge number of atomic calculations and state changes)

The brain is also very noisy place - the signal to noise ratio is low. A
huge error rate, compared with computer architecture which wastes huge
amounts of energy to achieve a very low error rate in its basic logic gates
(a lot more energy is used than the threshold value for flipping a gate in
order to lower the error rate to almost zero). The brain must be dealing
with a lot of bad - or random - signals.

And in general is not the brain computational architecture very different
from computer machine architecture, and different on a lot of orthogonal
levels. It seems like this is the place to begin looking; and as a corollary
that one needs to  be careful when using computational terminology for
describing the brain/mind because computers are architecturally so very
different from our 20 watt 100 trillion connection machines.

-Chris