>> If it's not random then it happened for a reason, and things happen in a
computer for a reason too.

Sure, but the "reason" may not be amenable to being completely contained within
the confines of a deterministic algorithm if it depends on a series of outside
processes that are not under the algorithms operational control and that are
highly variable and transient. The reason may depend on a very large set of
orthogonal factors each of which Is evolving and mutating along a separate
dimension.
Try modeling complexity like this and  it can lead to spontaneous brain
explosion :)

> At the time it may have been a supercomputer but that was 16 years agoand the
> computer you're reading this E mail message on right now is almost certainly
> more powerful than the computer that beat the best human chess player in the
> world. And chess programs have gotten a lot better too. So all that spaghetti
> and complexity at the cellular level that you were rhapsodizing about didn't
> work as well as an antique computer running a ancient chess program.
You are incorrect even today Deep Blue is still quite powerful compared to a PC

The Deep Blue machine specs:
 It was a massively parallel, RS/6000 SP Thin P2SC-based system with 30 nodes,
with each node containing a 120 MHz P2SC microprocessor for a total of 30,
enhanced with 480 special purpose VLSI chess chips. Its chess playing program
was written in C and ran under the AIX operating system. It was capable of
evaluating 200 million positions per second, twice as fast as the 1996 version.
In June 1997, Deep Blue was the 259th most powerful supercomputer according to
the TOP500 list, achieving 11.38 GFLOPS on the High-Performance LINPACK
benchmark.[12]

I doubt the machine you are writing your email on even comes close to that
level of performance; I know mine does not achieve that level of performance.