On 9/23/2013 12:40 AM, LizR wrote:
On 23 September 2013 17:23, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com <mailto:chris_peck...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

    Both evolutionary theory and the natural selection have a history that
predates
    Darwin. But we know of them through Darwin. Darwin wasn't great for having
these
    ideas, because they didn't originate with him. He was great because his
work made
    these ideas impossible to ignore.

I think it's fair to say that he put these ideas together in a way that made more sense than they had previously, and added quite a few ideas of his own?

I don't think anyone before Darwin had thought of simple randomness as being enough to drive evolution. Wallace also thought of it, but it is Darwin we celebrate because he not only had the idea, he also collected enormous amounts of supporting data and worked out most of the implications of the theory.