On 9/24/2013 8:44 PM, LizR wrote:
On 25 September 2013 15:41, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 9/24/2013 6:32 PM, LizR wrote:
    On 25 September 2013 13:38, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au
    <mailto:li...@hpcoders.com.au>> wrote:

        This is also true of materialism. Whether you think this is a problem
        or not depends on whether you think the "hard problem" is a problem or
not.

    Indeed. I was about to say something similar (to the effect that it's hard
    imagine how "mere atoms" can have sights, sounds, smells etc either).

    As a rule, if you want to explain X you need to start from something
without X.

Absolutely.

If you know of such an explanation, or even the outlines of one, I'd be interested to hear it. As Russell said, this is the so-called "hard problem" so any light (or sound, touch etc) on it would be welcome.

My 'solution' to the hard problem is to prognosticate that when we have built intelligent robots we will have learned the significance of having an internal narrative memory. We will have learned what emotions and feelings are at the level of sensors and computation and action. And when we have done that 'the hard problem' will be seen to have been an idle question - like "What is life." proved to be in the 20th century.