On Monday, October 21, 2013 5:34:09 AM UTC-4, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM, meekerdb <meek...@verizon.net<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > On 10/20/2013 3:53 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
> >
> > If this was possible, wouldn't you choose it? If not, why not?
> > I have a recurring similar discussion with a friend: suppose you could
> > be put in a capsule on life support and given a steady supply of a
> > drug that makes you feel pure bliss for the rest of your natural life.
> > Would you agree? If not, why not?
> >

> > Nietzshce would say, because human motivation is the will to power, the
> > satisfaction of accomplishment, creativity - not bliss or pleasure.
>  Which
> > makes sense from an evolutionary viewpoint.  People (and other animals)
> will
> > risk and suffer and sacrifice in order to procreate.  Freud saw this as
> the
> > most basis drive.
>
> Sure, the biological program would prevent us from choosing heaven
> itself. But it's interesting to become aware that this is the case.
>
> No rational objections against bliss can be made. Bliss is, by
> definition, the most desirable state of consciousness. It's the state
> of consciousness were one doesn't long for any other state. And yet,
> most of us would pass.

Yes, that is a great point that I have tried to make in different ways but
you hit it more directly. There is something off about the model of
feelings which the intellect tends to produce. Like denying the curvature
of the Earth because it is made of lengths measured in straight rods.
Thought does not know that it arises from feeling. It imagines that it
arises instead from super-thought beyond feeling. It's an assumption that
requires the evidence of experience to question. Theory alone cannot
capture what feeling is and why it compels us.

Thanks,
Craig