On Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:53:41 AM UTC-4, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > Another way of approaching human emulation.
> >
> > Step 1: Manufacture an inexpensive biofeedback monitor that you plug
> into
> > your internet enabled device.
> >
> > Step 2: Braindora reads up your personal data and compares it against a
> huge
> > database of other people’s data, looking for matches.
> >
> > Step 3. Meanwhile, Braindora keeps monitoring what you are looking at
> online
> > while it tracks your brain data, comparing your history of what you find
> and
> > how it makes you feel. Matches that correlate to mood improvement, on
> both a
> > short term and long term basis are flagged.
> >
> > Step 4: Braindora offers to take over your web browsing, steering your
> > computer/TV/Ipod/game system automatically to sources which are most
> > statistically likely to be successful in improving the indicators in
> ‘people
> > who probably feel like you do’.
> >
> > Step 5: Customers, who are now virtually incapable of being bored, can
> go to
> > the next level and browse social networks for bio-compatible matches in
> the
> > same way.
> >
> > Step 6: Gradually all lifestyle decisions can be ported to the system,
> > ensuring that that everything that you eat, buy, do, or experience is
> > optimized at least a little better than you could do on your own.
> >
> > Step 7: The entire process will be recorded and fed back into the system
> so
> > that it can be compressed into an algorithm which can be pushed back to
> the
> > customer’s transcranial magnetic stimulation device.  As a result,
> everyone
> > will feel like they have a great and constantly improving life, even as
> they
> > degenerate into pulpy masses of human squash.
>
> If this was possible, wouldn't you choose it? If not, why not?

I might choose it personally, but that is only because my personhood is
defined by its deprivations. If I were the universe, an ontology of
masturbation is a dead end.

I have a recurring similar discussion with a friend: suppose you could
> be put in a capsule on life support and given a steady supply of a
> drug that makes you feel pure bliss for the rest of your natural life.
> Would you agree? If not, why not?

I don't think that is actually possible. The intellect can conceive of
monotonous bliss, but that does not mean that is the way that bliss could
work. A bliss that you cannot escape from is ultimately a prison. Our
understanding of sensation points to relation of contrasts, not to
mechanical absolutes. Feelings are living responses to meaningful
conditions. We quickly adapt to euphoria, build a tolerance, become bored.
There may not be any such thing as a bliss which cannot fade into misery
eventually. If there were, I think it would constitute a kind of universal
halting, just as strong addiction can suspend normal social functions.

Craig