On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:08:14 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
>>
>> On 10/20/2013 3:53 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>
>> If this was possible, wouldn't you choose it? If not, why not?
>> I have a recurring similar discussion with a friend: suppose you could
>> be put in a capsule on life support and given a steady supply of a
>> drug that makes you feel pure bliss for the rest of your natural life.
>> Would you agree? If not, why not?
>>

>> Nietzshce would say, because human motivation is the will to power, the
>> satisfaction of accomplishment, creativity - not bliss or pleasure.� Which
>> makes sense from an evolutionary viewpoint.� People (and other animals)
>> will risk and suffer and sacrifice in order to procreate.� Freud saw this
>> as the most basis drive.
>

> I guess the conceit would be that this pleasure would simulate experiences
> of accomplishment, creativity, etc. Interestingly enough, part of the effect
> of cannabis seems to include an exaggeration of accomplishment which relates
> to alleviating boredom.

Interesting. I heard that said about cocaine. Some guy even argues
that cocaine-fuelled self-confidence was the main cause of the current
economic crisis. Cannabis is more frequently associated with a
disinterest in accomplishment itself -- the ego traps becoming obvious
and looking silly. People tell me that it's really hard to not notice
bad acting when under the influence of THC. Fakeness overall becomes
very obvious. Superficial niceties unbearable. Maybe this is why it's
illegal? Imagine listening to a political speech after smoking a
joint...

> The childlike fascination with mundane details and
> the heightening of minor errands to seem like Ulysses-like odysseys has both
> profound and silly implications. Who is to say, after all, that driving to
> the store to get some Doritos isn't an odyssey?
>
> There does seem to be a self-limiting feature of cannabis though, as
> eventually one's own sloth can become the most obvious wonder to meditate
> on. This I attribute to the transparency of sense to the universe at large.
> Eventually illusions and simulations are revealed. Not because of any
> Pollyanna law of truth in the universe, but because representations are not
> whole. Experiences which are not grounded in the absolute are facades which
> inevitably reveal their seams under some condition of 'light' over time.

Nice, that's an interesting way to put it.

Telmo.