On Monday, October 21, 2013 5:52:34 AM UTC-4, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:08:14 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
> >>
> >> On 10/20/2013 3:53 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
> >>
> >> If this was possible, wouldn't you choose it? If not, why not?
> >> I have a recurring similar discussion with a friend: suppose you could
> >> be put in a capsule on life support and given a steady supply of a
> >> drug that makes you feel pure bliss for the rest of your natural life.
> >> Would you agree? If not, why not?
> >>

> >> Nietzshce would say, because human motivation is the will to power, the
> >> satisfaction of accomplishment, creativity - not bliss or pleasure.�
> Which
> >> makes sense from an evolutionary viewpoint.� People (and other
> animals)
> >> will risk and suffer and sacrifice in order to procreate.� Freud saw
> this
> >> as the most basis drive.
> >

> > I guess the conceit would be that this pleasure would simulate
> experiences
> > of accomplishment, creativity, etc. Interestingly enough, part of the
> effect
> > of cannabis seems to include an exaggeration of accomplishment which
> relates
> > to alleviating boredom.
>
> Interesting. I heard that said about cocaine. Some guy even argues
> that cocaine-fuelled self-confidence was the main cause of the current
> economic crisis.

Some blamed the dot com bubble on Starbucks. I would not be too surprised
if that is at least partially true.

> Cannabis is more frequently associated with a
> disinterest in accomplishment itself -- the ego traps becoming obvious
> and looking silly. People tell me that it's really hard to not notice
> bad acting when under the influence of THC. Fakeness overall becomes
> very obvious. Superficial niceties unbearable. Maybe this is why it's
> illegal? Imagine listening to a political speech after smoking a
> joint...

There is little question that cannabis and psychedelics are suppressed
because they are considered a threat to the status quo. Certainly the
excuse that there are significant safety issues is fabricated or hysterical.

> > The childlike fascination with mundane details and
> > the heightening of minor errands to seem like Ulysses-like odysseys has
> both
> > profound and silly implications. Who is to say, after all, that driving
> > the store to get some Doritos isn't an odyssey?
> >
> > There does seem to be a self-limiting feature of cannabis though, as
> > eventually one's own sloth can become the most obvious wonder to
> meditate
> > on. This I attribute to the transparency of sense to the universe at
> large.
> > Eventually illusions and simulations are revealed. Not because of any
> > Pollyanna law of truth in the universe, but because representations are
> not
> > whole. Experiences which are not grounded in the absolute are facades
> which
> > inevitably reveal their seams under some condition of 'light' over time.
>
> Nice, that's an interesting way to put it.

Thanks, cool.

Craig