On 22 October 2013 10:51, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> About "17"? I am no mathematician, so a fantasy of math-systems is free to
> me. I figure a dynamic number-world flipping between series of its own
> integers, like the base of 'your' arithmetic and another one like
> expressable as
> 1.7, 3.4, 5.1... in which 17 is a "tenfold" of the first one, not a prime.
> This would be with all the 'primes' in our primitive number-world.
> Flip-flop. (Just musing!)
>
> The point about 17 being prime is that it's prime within a certain system
of maths, and *that* fact is invariant across all possible universes. There
are other mathematical systems in which 17 isn't prime, and those will also
hold true across all possible universes. Universes don't come with
different systems of maths attached.

At least that's the idea, and the point, of arithmetical realism.