I am still amazed that they were able to infer that spacetime cannot be
granular above a value that is enormously smaller than the Planck Scale,
which itself is far beyond the energy levels by any atom smasher we can
build. This by itself is an impressive bit of leverage to make assertions
about reality on that scale. And apparently it has important consequences
for several of the contending theories out there. such quantum loop gravity.

I am intrigued by the suggestion that there really is not that much
fundamental reality in this matrix of spacetime in which we perceive
ourselves and all things we can see to be immersed in. Quoting Russel's
earlier post on this "as I've point out many time, as space-time is most
likely a model construct, rather than actually being something physical "out
there"." - an interesting perspective, if I am understanding you correctly
that what is commonly perceived as being the fundamental fabric of reality
is in reality a model construct of I am guessing our perception. an artifact
of the process of perception of our minds. Or have I wandered far from what
you actually intended.. J

Spacetime, certainly is something we take for granted and it occupies a most
central role in every single one of our senses as well. I find it elusively
hard to even imagine reality sans spacetime, but then again just because it
seems so fundamental and real in our commonplace experience of being doesn't
necessarily mean that it therefore must be. It does seem however necessary
in order for us to make any sense of our world. I cannot conceive of a world
without spacetime and causality (the one way movement of the flow of time) -
which only means that that is the limit of my senses.

If I try to imagine a universe that is not shall we say projected down onto
a screen of spacetime. my imagining quickly begins to trend to the
psychedelic - which perhaps is what it would be as it overwhelmed our
limited senses.

Do you see spacetime as being necessary for all models or just for our
particular anthropomorphic  universe in the multiverse?

I am guessing you would say the latter.

What is the underlying reality which then models spacetime?

It seems there must be some underlying something there because space time
has such accurate and predictive qualities - the thrown stone will in fact
follow the trajectory and all observers in the vicinity will experience a
cohesive experience of reality in regards to the trajectory and impact of
the stone. Spacetime ties our star system into our galaxy, local group,
cluster, and the larger mega structures of our universe as we know it and it
provides a fabric for reality to exist in that is highly predictable and
predictive.

If spacetime itself is a part of a model, the role it plays seems absolutely
essential to a reality that makes any sense - it relates things to each
other and places them in relation to other things in a manner that is the
same essentially for all observers of sober mind - at least at a basic level
of agreement. Spacetime keeps the moon where it is and everything in
perspective to everything else and it would all basically tally up and
agree, if every observer measured what was being measured from their
perspective and transposed to other perspectives.

What I am asking is could there be a deeper more generalized analog for this
"fabric" that manifests in our anthropomorphic universe for us as spacetime;
perhaps some abstract mathematical ordering principle that establishes and
tracks the multitude of relationships between things along all possible
causal branches?