On 10/24/2013 8:41 PM, chris peck wrote:
/>> Unfortunately we don't even have that example, because we don't know how we
think./

We know that a certain set of mistakes are ubiquitous when learning grammer. (overgeneralising for example). Cats. dogs. hamsters. ... Sheeps. deers. etc.

And we know the computer system didn't make these mistakes.

Whether a computer made those mistakes would obviously depend on it's software and one could obviously write software that would over generalize and in fact neural network classifiers often over generalize.

But you're back to judging internal processes by external behavior.

Brent

Thats all we need to know to say that the two systems are not the same. All we need to know to say the computer was not doing what children do.

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:35:05 -0700
From: meeke...@verizon.net
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Douglas Hofstadter Article

On 10/24/2013 8:09 PM, chris peck wrote:

    At this juncture then it becomes moot whether the computer is learning or
thinking
    about grammar. It is a matter of philosophical taste. It certainly isn't
learning or
    thinking as we learnt or thought when learning grammar. The way we cognate
is the
    only example we have of cognition that we know is genuine.