>> But you're back to judging internal processes by external behavior.

I have nothing against doing that. Its exactly what I in fact did.

Where there are no behavioral differences from which we can identify internal
differences, we would not know whether they were cognitively different or the
same.  Maybe they are, maybe they are not. And that certainly leads to the
problem of other minds, say between children learning grammar.

But where we can do that, say between this grammar system and children or Deep
Blue and Kasperov, it follows that they are definitely not cognitively similar
regardless of how they perform because we can discern internal differences from
external behavior.

We can only say Deep Blue is thinking if we broaden the definition of thinking.
Well, I can show that Im gorgeous if I broaden the definition of gorgeous. We
don't learn anything about thought by changing its definition.