On 24 Oct 2013, at 12:58, Richard Ruquist wrote:

How does one obtain an infinity of computations in a universe of limited bits of information.

A computation is a concept in arithmetic. There exist infinitely many computations for reason similar as the fact that there exist infinitely many prime number.

Then the UDA reasoning (notably step 8, + weak Occam) explains that to predict any physical events "correctly", once we assume we are turing emulable, we have to sum on the infinitely many compuations going through our states.

So we explain the *appearance* of a physical reality without assuming more than numbers and the + and * laws.

So any consideration on the size of the physical universe is irrelevant. In comp, the size of the universe is an open problem.

Bruno

For example our universe is thought to be limited to 10^120 bits, the so-called Lloyd Limit.