On 30 October 2013 19:03, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My point was only that the traditional notions of personal identity:
> saying this person is that one particular continuation of that biological
> organism, or of that one brain, do not work.  They fail in cases of fusion,
> fission, duplication, radical change, amnesia, etc. and must be rejected in
> favor of more consistent definitions of personal identity.
>
> That is exactly what comp does, and that is at least part of the point of
the teleportation thought experiments. One of the results of comp is that
personal identity is split into steps, normally called observer moments
(the length of these moments isn't known), and that personal survival from
moment to moment is exactly the same as survival during a duplication
experiment. In comp, at least, a person is a series of discrete states, a
"Capsule theory" of memory and identity rather like the pigeonholes in Fred
Hoyle's "October the First is too late".

I'm sure Bruno will correct me if I have got anything wrong there.