Hi Jason

>> Right but when you refer to "the experience" or "chris peck's experiences",
>> that is speaking in the third person.

It should make no difference to your argument at all. In fact Bruno's step 3 is
written in the third person too.  You're confusing how the set up is described
with what is actually thought by the protagonists. In fact let me use a
paragraph from Bruno's step 3 replacing the issues under debate, that way there
can be no confusion about the fact that I not mistaking a 1-p view for a 3-p
view any more than he is.

Bruno's version (and take special note of the use of third person descriptions):

Giving the built-in symmetry of this experiment, if asked before the experiment
about his personal future location, the experiencer must confess he cannot
predict with certainty the personal outcome of the experiment. He is confronted
to an unavoidable uncertainty. This is remarkable because from a third person
point of view the experiment is completely deterministic, and indeed the
mechanist doctrine is defended most of the time by advocates of determinism.
But we see here that mechanism, by being indeed completely 3-deterministic,
entails a strong form of indeterminacy[10], bearing on the possible consistent
extensions, when they are observed by the first person, as both diaries can
witness. This is what I call the first person comp indeterminacy, or just
1-indeterminacy. Giving that Moscow and Washington are permutable without any
noticeable changes for the experiencer, it is reasonable to ascribe a
probability of ½ to the event “I will be in Moscow (resp. Washington).” Before
proceeding the experiencer is in a state of maximal ignorance.

Corrected version:

[Given] the built-in symmetry of this experiment, if asked before the
experiment about his personal future location, the experiencer must confess he
[can] predict with certainty the personal outcome of the experiment. He is
confronted to an unavoidable [certainty]. This is [unremarkable] because from a
third person point of view the experiment is completely deterministic, and
indeed the mechanist doctrine is defended most of the time by advocates of
determinism. But we see here that mechanism, by being indeed completely
3-deterministic, entails a strong form of [determinacy], bearing on the
[certain] consistent extensions, when they are observed by the first person,
[regardless of what] both diaries can witness. This is what I [shouldn't] call
the first person comp indeterminacy, or just 1-indeterminacy. [Regardless] that
Moscow and Washington are permutable without any noticeable changes for the
experiencer, it is reasonable to ascribe a probability of 100% to the event “I
will be in Moscow (resp. Washington).” [because] Before proceeding the
experiencer is in a state of maximal [knowledge].

>> According to your usage, how is the meaning of "subjective certainty"
>> different from just "certainty"?

They are identical. Bruno argues that if everyone is certain or uncertain of
something then this certainty become 'objective' in some sense. Its an
irrelevant point he makes but nevertheless it is wrong. Its a confusion between
solipsism and subjectivism. certainty and uncertainty are predicates applicable
only to subjects. 'I's. And no matter how many people hold a belief or are
certain or uncertain of something those certainties / uncertainties are only
ever subjective.

>> After the duplication there are two experiencers. <--[notice the third
>> person description you're employing here!] Each is confronted with the
>> impossibility of being able to reliably predict which experience they would
>> next have following the duplication.  The knowledge that all experiences
>> will be had does not eliminate this uncertainty.

I keep pointing out that the question is asked prior to duplication and you
keep ignoring that.

>> According to your usage, in which you have no uncertainty because you know
>> future chris pecks, following duplication, will individually experience all
>> possible outcomes, such certainty ignores the personal feelings of the
>> original Chris peck stepping into the duplicator and experiencing himself
>> becoming one of the experiencers. Therefore it is not subjective in the
>> sense that I use subjective, in which I mean you should literally imagine
>> what it would be like to go into the duplicating chamber and be duplicated.

Imagining what it would be like to go into the duplicating chamber from a first
person perspective is precisely what I am doing. And you can not ignore the
fact that the experiencer will have a certain set of beliefs as he goes in.
Infact, it is axiomatic to Bruno's reasoning that we assume the experiencer is
a 'comp practitioner' who would 'say yes' to the doctor. ie. it is axiomatic
that the experiencer has a very specific set of beliefs. If you don't take
these beliefs into account then *you* are not imagining what it would be like
to be the experiencer. So, when the question is asked, you are not about to see
(Washington or Moscow), you are about to see (Washington and Moscow), because
there is only one of you at this point, and critically -- and heres the bit
which makes it genuinely 1-p -- you are certain of all this. Your subjective
view, your 'what is it like to be', your phenomenological state, your
whateveryouwantocallit, is saturated with the conviction that you are going to
end up in both washington and moscow. There will be no room for doubt until you
open your eyes at the terminal. At which point the game has changed radically.
Now you know that you have been annihilated and duplicated but do not know
which duplicate you are. Here you would predict 50/50 but not before. Certainly
not when the question is asked in step 3.

>> Note: I do believe we experience all possible outcomes, and you can even say
>> in truth there is only one "I", but this does not remove the appearance of
>> randomness as seen from the first person views

Its my contention that there would be no appearance of randomness. Our
perceptions are coloured by our beliefs. If we are genuine MWIers for example,
we would not experience a feeling of randomness at all. We would percieve
things as wholly determined.

>> I am curious, have you heard of the sleeping beauty problem?  I wonder what
>> answer you would agree with:

I have. I studied Philosophy at UCL and watched Malcolm Budd and Ted Honderich
tear Arnold Zuboff to shreds on a regular basis at departmental seminars. The
thing is sleeping beauty is in a state of maximal ignorance so I don't see how
it relates.

>> Yes, but the question is if you were not told the protocol, whether the
>> machine would send you to one with 50% probability, or send you to both
>> locations, can you, (from the first person/subjective point of view),
>> distinguish these two cases?

Again, where there is ignorance there can be doubt. But it isn't the doubt you
want which is doubt in state of maximal knowledge.

>> Okay, that is fair.

I'm beginning to think Bruno defines 'self' in terms of self reference within
certain modal logics; provability logic etc. Its a circular definition which I
imagine will be problematic. but again my modal logic is very rusty so I won't
argue the point ...