On 21 November 2013 12:29, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> >> Good on them. What next? Pay taxes to wizards and dragons?
> >>
> > Weird comment. The King of England was only, in their view, an
> inappropriate
> > subject to pay taxes to because they were no longer his subjects, at
> least
> > in a de facto sense. They weren't against taxes per se, and set up a
> system
> > in which people were expected to pay taxes. (And if wizards and dragons
> > existed, people would indeed pay them taxes, or as we'd call it,
> protection
> > money!)
> >
> > No matter how good your case, a reasoned argument is better than an
> invalid
> > comparison.
>
> Hi Liz,
>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. I am aware that the
> founding fathers were in favour of taxes. As I said to Bruno, I admire
> the constitution but I think that even more freedom can be achieved. I
> just meant that paying taxes to kings on the other side of the world
> is ridiculous, and that the king or queen themselves are ridiculous
> entities in the modern world.

My point is that you used a bad comparison. There is no reasonable
comparison between the King of England at the time and wizards and drgaons,
and you are obscuring your point by using an inappropriate metaphor.

Paying taxes to someone on the far side of the world seems ridiculous
because that person isn't providing any of the services that they are, at
least in theory, providing for their citizens back home. That's a fair
point, but it doesn't make them mythical or imaginary, it just means that
they are no longer in a position to treat colonists as subjects.

Similarly, the King or Queen of England may be a ridiculous entity now, but
they certainly weren't at the time, so (again) it doesn't make sense to
suggest that.