On 21 November 2013 11:37, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> > who just did not want to pay taxes to the King of England,
>
> Good on them. What next? Pay taxes to wizards and dragons?
>
> Weird comment. The King of England was only, in their view, an
inappropriate subject to pay taxes to because they were no longer his
subjects, at least in a *de facto* sense. They weren't against taxes per
se, and set up a system in which people were expected to pay taxes. (And if
wizards and dragons existed, people would indeed pay them taxes, or as we'd
call it, protection money!)

No matter how good your case, a reasoned argument is better than an invalid
comparison.