On 11/21/2013 6:21 PM, Chris de Morsella wrote:
Unlike you, I don't believe there will be a need for it on a massive scale. By the soonest time commercial rated LFTR reactors can be ready the costs per watt and the scale of production for solar PV will have reached levels that would make it impossible to raise the amounts of capital required in order to build them. Solar PV is not going to suddenly stop getting cheaper, or scaling up in terms of how much new capacity it adds to the installed solar PV base each year. In the 20 to 30 years' time frame required in order to ramp up LFTR reactor technology to commercially rated systems, from the point that we are at today, solar PV will have become the electricity generation cost leader easily beating coal and anything else. I make this projection based on long established trend lines that have held for three decades.

I don't see it as either-or. PV and wind are both intermittent and we're going to need either much better energy storage systems or backup from nuclear power plants.