On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

  > Atheism is wish fulfillment.

To some extent that is true. Imagine for a moment what it would be like if
a Christian God did exist, it would be far worse than living in North
Korea! Here we have an all powerful demon addicted to flattery who can read
your every thought and will torture you, not for a long time, but for
ETERNITY if you take even one small step out of line or break just one of
his many many rules, and they include thought crimes. To make matters worse
you're not even sure exactly what all His rules are, the "experts"
violently (and I do mean violently) disagree, so you never know if you're
going to be tortured or how to avoid it. This seems pretty depressing to me
and not at all moral. I'll take an indifferent universe  over a sadistic
one any day.

I call your attention to a quotation from Charles Darwin, a better man by
far than the son of God even if you ignore his enormous scientific ability.
I would certainly much rather have Darwin as my next door neighbor than a
vindictive pompous ass like Jesus Christ.

In spite of the objections of his very religious but loving wife, he wrote
this in his 1876  autobiography :

        "Disbelief crept over me at a very slow rate but at last
was
         complete. The rate was so slow that I felt no distress, and
have
         never since doubted even for a single second that my
conclusion
         was correct. I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish
         Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the
text
         seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this
would
         include my Father, Brother and almost all my best friends, will
be
         everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine."

John K Clark