On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> On 24 Nov 2013, at 10:06, LizR wrote:
>>
>> To be exact it's the belief that no gods exist, i.e. that "theism" is
>> wrong. But otherwise it does seem to echo Aristotle and Plato, at least as
>> far as I understand them.
>>

>> Atheism is also the belief in NO afterlife, which is close to not making
>> much sense to me (even without comp). This is well illustrated by the french
>> philosophers like La Mettrie and Sade, defending the right to do what you
>> want in your life (including torturing children and women), as you have only
>> one life to profit on. It is part of the origin of the political
>> materialism, implemented in both communism and capitalism, and indeed both
>> are aggressive with any form of spiritualism, and confuse a rich life with a
>> life of rich.
>

> Both branches of nihilistic economicism , yes
>>

>> The big conceptual difference between Aristotle and Plato is that in
>> Aristotle there is a belief in a primitive material universe, where for
>> Plato, the material universe is a shadow (an emanation, a border, a
>> reflection, a projection,...) of something else (the one, God, the universal
>> dream, etc.).
>

> Interesting declaration of Gnosticism.
> But that platonic idea of the world does is not match very well with what
> plato says in the Timaeus. Allthough the gnosticists have drawn a lot from
> Plato.
>
> In the other way, the conception of Aristotle was the traditional idea of
> the greeks. the greek goods, by the way, where intramundane, not
> beyond-material, that is sobrenatural, authough "almost" inmortals. So you
> can accuse the ancient greeks of being aristotelians.
>>

>> It is the opposition between naturalism (materialism, physicalism), and
>> the other conceptions of reality (which can still be rational, like with the
>> antic greeks and Indians).
>>

>> Atheists and Christians are alike. They have the same conception of the
>> creator (the first to deny it, the second to believe in it), and the same
>> conception of the creation (a material universe).
>>
>> The real "religious" debate is about the primitive or not existence of the
>> physical reality.
>

> Not only that. Between primitive and not existence, theere are a lot of
> possiblities
>

>> Should we search, or not, for a reason behind the physical reality?
>

> We have no option once our personal survival problems are solved and we have
> to plan beyond tomorrow.
> We have teleological minds that need to discover a course of history to
> follow. Otherwise, probably like in any social organism, we will be victims
> of out own mechanism of sanity-checking and the social apoptosis will
> prescribe an useful suicide to our disoriented body, in order to avoid being
> a burden for the other gene-vehicles of the society.
>
> That´s why many disoriented people, specially young ones, risk their lifes
> in extreme sports (or terrorism): it is the only way to avoid asking oneself

Yes, and I also suspect that this is why pop culture is so loud.
People of all ages feel this need to be distracted from the abyss. Not
that I find anything wrong in pop culture per se, but making a big
deal about some celebrity wearing a skimpy outfit is one of the many
ways to distract ourselves from the nausea that can come when one
contemplates naked reality. Another impression I have is that Europe
is mostly a post-nausea culture, while the US is a pre-nausea one.
This makes communication hard, despite the fact that we have so much
in common at a more superficial level.

> The spectacle of people running to the
> extenuation in massive marathons with "solidary" purposes as a modern form
> of primitive sacrifice is one of the most bizarre but enlightening things in
> this "rationalist" modern world.

I agree, it's funny. Obviously people could just donate the money
directly to charity, so there is some fundamental need for the
puritanical public display of sacrifice. It also promotes jogging and
healthy living, which is a replacement for conventional religious
notions of purity. It is acceptable under the new dogmas because it is
science-based, but the underlaying religious needs are still the same.

Then you have some funny moments, like when science finds out that
stretching before exercise is actually counter-productive. It's a
bummer, because stretching before a jog is such a wonderful display of
piety, so similar to genuflexion before some altar. I wonder what
they'll replace it with.

Telmo.