On 02 Dec 2013, at 18:52, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Yes. After St-Thomas, most catholic theologian agree that God cannot make 17 into a composite number. God obeys to logic,

So the God theory has zero explanatory power

That does not follow. Newton's theory obeys to logic too.

and even if God does exist He is just as mystified as to why there is something rather than nothing as we are.

You might be true, especially when he lost himself in the Garden of its Mother. But frankly we are a long way to really just address such question in arithmetic.

> This does not really limit his "power"

Even for questions less deep the "God has power" theory still explains nothing unless it can explain exactly how that "power" works, and if you understand all about that "power" then God Himself becomes redundant, a useless fifth wheel. For example, if you say that God created the first living organism on the Earth 4 billion years ago that explains nothing unless you can explain how He did it, and if you know that you don't need God.

I have already insist that God cannot be part of the explanation. We agree on this.

Bruno

  John K Clark