On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/12/6 Platonist Guitar Cowboy <multiplecit...@gmail.com>

>>> Science is a way to discover the world, nothing is certain, what you
>>> believe now may be shown wrong tomorrow... that's not the case with
>>> religion...
>>>
>>> Quentin

>>> Are you saying buddhism/taoism have no dogma ?  that's wrong, they have,
>>> plenty...  they have no god, sure, but really there is a set of thing that
>>> qualify as dogma... if you reject everything buddhism tell you (as they
>>> fake you can), how can you qualify yourself as buddhist ?
>>>

>> Everybody knows Wikipedia can be helpful but often does a terrible job at
>> oversimplifying, especially on theological matters, but you defeat them on
>> that point today, regarding theology.
>>
>> Oversimplified Wikipedia definition (noting your "Science is a way to
>> discover the world etc. + dogma accusation of Taoism etc.):
>>

>> *https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism> The term Tao means "way", "path" or
>> "principle", and can also be found in Chinese philosophies and religions
>> other than Taoism. In Taoism, however, Tao denotes something that is both
>> the source and the driving force behind everything that exists. It is
>> ultimately ineffable <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ineffability>: "The Tao
>> that can be told is not the eternal Tao."[1]
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism#cite_note-Laozi-1>*
>>

> Nothing I say has meaning... great... what's the point ? It's just a
> sentence that sounds good but is totally empty.

Nah, Tao can still be spoken, just not eternal. Like we can say set of all
sets or all partial recursive functions but it doesn't lead to decidable
proof, diagonalization and contradiction, or help us in some absolute
sense, even if serving as some pointer. So this doesn't rule out notions
like emanation, as posed by Plotinus or arithmetic successor function and
multiplication operator, that are, as examples, not or only part,
reflection, emanation etc. of that unspeakable name/one/Tao.

To confuse this with nihilism is understandable but inappropriate because
it does refer to some unnamable principle, where nihilism crudely put, does
not.

>> So your "world discovery" quoted above is already too dogmatic; even to a
>> Wiki-Taoist.
>>

> Are you saying we can't ? Yes, one hypothesis of science, is that the
> world is understandable... if it is not, all of what you're saying is
> useless.
>
> Science use hypothesis, not dogma, and yes there are fundamental
> hypothesis, if the world in fine is shown not to be understandable, science
> goal will have failed and will not be recoverable.

Agreed, and I don't think the above mentioned theologies would have much of
a problem with that...

I still don't see how an interpretation of science protects it from being
practiced or manipulated dogmatically, same as with theologies though. E.g.
with some fundamentally atheist interpretation, it can even seem more
treacherous and dishonest by using empirical data as proof of truth because
of self-evidence tricks of culture and local biological and predatory
circumstance. In this example, Science doesn't lay the ambiguity and
controversy of its axioms on the table and can be abused in the same manner
as any other system of beliefs. PGC