On 07 Dec 2013, at 19:44, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/7/2013 12:37 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 06 Dec 2013, at 19:48, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/6/2013 12:24 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 05 Dec 2013, at 19:13, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2013/12/5 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com > wrote: A religion is based on dogma, science is not, hence science is not a religion.

Some religions may be, that doesn't mean they all are, however.

Could you give an example of a religion without dogma ?

Platonism, buddhism branches, taoism, neoplatonism, the individual religion of all mystics, and ... the theology of numbers.

In other words, what all the rest of the world calls "philosophy".

It can be done with the scientific modest attitude and respect for the plausible facts, but then the world call it science. "philosophy" has different meaning from university to university.

So does theology - and none of them agree with your meaning.

Not true. Note that when theology is taught in a university, it is due to link between some academies and the religious institution, but even there people seems to have no problem with the machine theology, or its resemblance with Plato (scholar referees coming from there are OK, although some told me they would not publicly defend computationalism, given the Platonist consequence. They too are under the spell of some physicalism).

How many people do you think there are on this list with a PhD in theology or a Doctor of Divinity degree? How many with a PhD in physics?

The truth or falsity of an idea has nothing to do with diploma and number of people getting the idea.
Anyway, in science we use word by redefining hem all.
The fact that atheists are susceptible on words says something about their pseudo-religious stance in the matter.

I use it for those who defend the truth of some theories, which is something we don't do in science, be it in theology or botanic.

Atheism is not a religion, just as a vacant lot is not a type of
building,

That's agnosticism. With atheism, the lot is not vacant. (confusion between ~[]p and []~p).

What do you think is on the lot?

The total absence of a divine reality, and most usually, a divine reality made of matter. Yes, what is on the lot is inconsistent.

Brent
"Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color; like OFF is a television channel."

Again that is agnosticism. (I suspect that you are not an atheist in the european sense of the word. Those really believe in Matter, and that there are no Gods, which is contradictory with the original greek definition of god of course).