On 12/9/2013 1:35 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Dec 2013, at 22:53, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Telmo Menezes

you must also reject the MWI, because you live

Who is "you"? Telmo's post was only 63 words long but the pronoun "you" was
used 8 times, that's almost 13%. When it is necessary to hide behind
personal pronouns when a philosophical idea regarding duplicating machines
and personal identity is discussed it's clear that something is wrong.

in the first person,

Which first person? The first person of John Clark of one hour ago? The
first person of John Clark standing left of the duplicating machine? The
first person of John Clark standing right of the duplicating machine?

You're avoiding my question. Why don't you also reject the MWI?

I would like to know that too. Quentin has already asked this many times to John, and we got unclear answer.

John invoked the fact that with comp the duplication are done only in one branch of the universe, but did not explain why would that change anything (without adding some non Turing emulable magic in some place).

I think Quentin is right, and John C. just develop irrational rhetoric do avoid moving on in the argument, ... then he talk like if I was defining comp by its consequences, but this is another rhetorical trick, often used by those who want to mock the enterprise.

It is interesting. I try to figure out what is really stucking him so much. i do the same with my students in math. Why some people avoid reason in some circumstance. Given that Quentin seems to qualify himself as atheist, it can't be simply Clark's atheism, isn't it? But then what?

I think the sticking point, one which I also feel with some force, is the implicit assumption in the question, "Where will you find yourself." that there is a unique "you". Under the theory of souls it would make sense to ask, which duplicate will your soul go to. But under computationalism there is no answer be the duplication entails that there is no "you", there are only computations that "think" you.