Dear Bruno,

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 25 Dec 2013, at 18:40, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:
>
> Are we not presuming, structure, or a-priori, existence of something,
> doing this processing, this work?
>

> In the UDA we assume a "Turing universal", or "sigma_1-complete" physical
> reality, in some local sense.

Could this "Turing universal/sigma_1-complete in a local sense" be the
exact criteria required to define the observations 3-experiences of
individuals or is it the 1-experiences of individuals (observers) in
keeping with the definition of an observer as the intersection of
infinitely many computations?

> We need this to just explain what is a computer, alias, universal machine,
> alias universal number (implemented or not in a physical reality).
> Note that we do not assume a *primitive physical reality*. In comp, we are
> a priori agnostic on this. The UDA, still will explains that such
> "primitiveness" cannot solve the mind-body problem when made into a
> dogma/assumption-of-primitiveness.

It has always seemed to me that UDA cannot solve the mind-body problem
strictly because it cannot comprehend the existence of "other minds".

> [...]
>
> But the arithmetical realism used by comp is a far weaker hypothesis: it
> is just the hypothesis that the elementary closed arithmetical sentences,
> like Ex(x+1=2), are true, or false. It is assumed by 99,9999% of scientists.
>
> This is very important spudboy, I am just a humble logician which says
> that if you believe that you can survive with a digital brains (physical,
> if you want), then physics becomes a sub-branch of computer science, which
> is already (although not so well known) a branch of number theory.
>
> Mechanism has been a long time ally to materialism, but the discovery of
> the universal machine illustrates that mechanism is more an ally of the
> "question to king Milinda" or to Neoplatonism.
>

> but I am doubtful that the magic of self organization can come up with
> forms all on its own.
>

> It cannot happen from just logic and addition.
> It cannot happen from just logic and multiplication.
> It happens from the conjunction of logic, addition and multiplication.
>

> Before the chicken came the animal that preceded the chicken-maybe a
> raptor, forget the egg.
>

> The comp TOE, isolated through UDA and the AUDA, assumes the less. The TOE
> is already taught in elementary school.
> I have never heard one parent complaining of any form of brainwashing, or
> propaganda when taught in elementary mathematical propositions, so I think
> that doubting arithmetical realism is just obscurantist obstructive type of
> bad faith, and it hides the fact that comp leads to Platonism, in the
> philosophical or metaphysical, or theological, sense.
>
> I am a scientist. I put the assumption on the table. They are quite weak,
> and I reason from there.
>
> You seem to ignore the relations between computer science and arithmetic,
> but this is standard in theoretical computer science.
> You seem to assume a primitive physical universe, but the UDA shows that
> this does not even make sense, in case the comp substitution level exist.
>
> You need to convince yourself by following the reasoning, and study a bit
> of computer science. A tiny part of the arithmetical reality contains the
> whole of the computable, and the arithmetical reality is vaster as it
> "knows" about the termination or non termination of algorithm or class of
> algorithms, etc. The observers are emulated in that tiny parts of
> arithmetic, but what is true about them and about their experiences extends
> the whole arithmetical, the whole analytical, and even quite
> plausibly/arguably the whole mathematical (in the current sense of
> mathematical).
>
> I am not proposing anything new, just pointing on the incompatibility
> between mechanist and materialist cognitive sciences, and showing how
> computer science translates the mind-body problem into a body belief
>  problem in arithmetic. The conversation with the Lôbian machine is just
> the beginning of the solution, in the most ideal case.

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher

Mobile: (864) 567-3099