Hi LizR,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 December 2013 09:43, Stephen Paul King
> <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear LizR and Brent,
>>
>>   I will try to go at this from a different direction. What exactly does
>> "fundamental level" mean? Does there have to be "something fundamental"?
>> Consider Leibniz' monadology: strip it of the anthropocentrism and
>> religiosity and one obtains a nice "any one thing is made from combinations
>> of other things" concept that has no need for something fundamental.
>>

> Obviously there doesn't HAVE to be "something fundamental"*. Lots of
> religions, for example, posit two almost-fundamental things - Yin and Yang,
> God and the Devil, the dark and light sides of the Force, and so on.
> However, physical theories have been extremely successful at using
> reductionism, which tends to lead one, ultimately, towards there being
> something fundamental. All the unifications - electricity and magnetism,
> mass and energy, space and time, the four forces merging into one - all
> indicate an explanatory arrow in which two or more things turning out to be
> aspects of one simpler thing. Continue this long enough, and you should
> eventually hit the last turtle.

Why is this necessary? Sure, physics has come a long way since Democritus
and his Atoms in a void. But we have reached a point where that way of
thinking fails. Look at Superstrings, no empirical evidence of anything
measurable there... Time for a new vision?

> * (By the way, I'd feel happier replying if you'd miss out all the
> unnecessary quote marks. It looks like you're trying to hedge against being
> pinned down into actually taking a viewpoint when everything under
> discussion has to be "quoted" for no obvious reason...)

No, I don't mind being pinned down. I just often have to use words in a
metaphorical and not literal way.

>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King