On 1 January 2014 10:46, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2013, at 03:09, LizR wrote:
>

>> But I feel that you must already know this. Are you just being Devil's
>> Advocate, or do you honestly not see the usefulness of multiverse theories?
>>

> Partly playing Devil's Advocate - but doing so because I'm not convinced
> that Everett's MWI is the last word and because I don't like to see the
> hard problem of predicting/explaining *this* to be fuzzed over by an easy
> "everythingism".
>
> Your use of disparaging language to sum up the opposing position doesn't
fill me with optimism that you actually get why this hard problem may in
fact have been solved. There is no "fuzzing over" involved in the MWI,
quite the reverse - you need to "fuzz things over" if you want to get
"this" out of QM as a unique solution. Collapse of the wave function and so
on -- a "fuzzy" hand-waving exercise.

I'm not 100% ken on the straw man, either. *No one *thinks the MWI is the
last word, because it isn't a TOE. But it *may* be a good approximation (or
it may not, of course). *If* it's a good approximation, it solves the
problem of "why this history?" without resorting to any extra doodads on
top of the basic equations. Or so I'm told.

AFAICS you either need to have a reason why it "just comes out this way" or
you have to use an Everett/comp style explanation. If you have a third type
of explanation, please tell me! Otherwise you're just saying "I don't like
it, so it can't be true!"