On 10 Jan 2014, at 23:25, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/10/2014 10:27 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
But what about Glak, a being in an alternative physics?

If Glak mind obeys to the laws of Boole, and if Glak as a finite body, and if he is self-referentially correct, then we share with Glak the same sigma_1 true sentences, and he figures it out (by Bp & Dt) in the same way, so we have the same physics. If Glak shows us an electron heaver than ours, we can conclude that the mass of an electron is not a necessity, but a contingency, a geographical fact, and there might be a law given the mass electron relatively to that type of accessible physics (given that we succeed in talking with Glak).

But there's the rub. Could Glak's universe not have electrons? Could it not have electrical charge?

Open problem. Both for comp and "QM+GR" (or the needed unknon correction of GR, 'course).

A theory that cannot tell us what is contingent

But the theory does that. The physical, like the quantum principle, which can be derived from the material hypostases are laws, and the rest is contingent and belongs to geography/history.

and only that arithmetical (or logical truths) are necessary

That's G, not the S4GRz, or X and Z logics.

doesn't really tell us anything.  It just says "Tautologies are true."

So we get much more than that: 8 non trivial intensional mathematics (the quantified hypostases), with three of them given the physical laws.