On 15 January 2014 06:53, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Liz,
>
> See my response to Brent on consciousness of an hour ago. It answers this
> question...
>
> Actually to answer your question properly you have to define 'person',
> what you mean by an 'AI' and what you mean by a 'simulation'. In the
> details of those definitions will be your answer... It's arbitrary and ill
> formed as asked....

Yeah, unlike waffle about "it's really real because it's real in the real
actual world, really, because I say so" (insert eye-rolling emoticon here)

OK, let's say we simulate you in a virtual world. Or, to get a particular
scenario, let's assume some aliens with advanced technology turned up last
night and scanned your body, and created a computer model of it. We won't
worry about subtleties like substitution levels and whether "you" are
actually duplicated in the process. It's enough for the present discussion
that the simulated Edgar feels it's you, believes it's you, thinks its you,
and appears to have a body like yours which it can move around, just as you
do, in a world just like the one you're living in (they have also modelled
the Earth and its surroundings. Using nanotechnology they can do all this
inside a relatively small space). The simulated Edgar will think just like
you, assuming your thoughts are, in fact, the product of computation in
your brain, and it has your memories, because the aliens were able to model
the part of your brain that stores them.

So, sim-Edgar wakes up the next morning and believes himself to be
earth-Edgar.

Would he know, or discover at some point, that he's a simulation in a
virtual world, and if so, how?