On 1/18/2014 7:38 PM, LizR wrote:

    Or it could be because we, denizens of this physics/universe, invent them.

Why would that make it effective, though? After all we also invented fairy tales, and conspiracy theories, and religion, and...)

And those fairy tales were effective too - up to a point. "Don't sleep near the swamp because the night demons will make you sick.", probably saved a lot of people from malaria.