Dear Edgar,

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> To combine my responses to several of your posts...
>
> I sort of agree with your notion of multiple realities but I would argue
> these are not the fundamental reality and we must assume a more fundamental
> reality with the same laws of nature, rules of logic, and fine tuning, etc.
> that these all occur within. Without that it seems to me there could be no
> possible communication between your realities and that they would not even
> be part of the same universe.

I wonder if you understood the implications of what I wrote previously?!
I gave the definition of "reality" that I use and have repeatedly stated
that the notion of a reality independent of observers is incoherent to me.
I also gave a tiny sketch of how I think of communication, computation and
information; there is an interlocking reasoning to those definitions and
the ways that I am using them.
  The idea of "he same laws of nature, rules of logic, and fine tuning,
etc." all come from the traditional way of thinking physics. I find that
method to be faulty and am attempting to find a better alternative.

> A theory of completely separate realities not part of a single common
> reality cannot explain the fact that the laws of physics, the laws of
> logic, and the fine tuning, the laws of chemistry, the current state of the
> universe, are the same for all observers. There must be a common reality
> that includes these facts and the observers and their separate realities in
> which those observers exist for that to be true.

If we start with a generic and non-anthropocentric notion of observers and
then consider what would they have as a common experience, we find that we
can obtain a common physics and world. We do not need to start with a World
that is out there and has innate properties. An absolute Reality would be
one that is identical to Democritus' Void, having no particular properties
at all (key word: Particular).

> My definition of reality is simple and very general and takes these points
> into consideration:
>
> Reality includes everything that exists, without exception, whatever that
> may be. The multiple realities you are proposing are what I would describe
> as the multiple internal mental simulations of my single reality in which
> all observers must exist to be in the same universe and communicate with
> each other.

Does your version of* reality* (I will denote it as reality_E) come ready
baked with properties?

> Each of these observers will of course have his own separate reality VIEW
> and internal MODEL of that single reality, but these must necessarily be
> part of a single universe to make sense of things.

Do your observers have experiences of reality_E that map one-to-one and
onto the properties of reality_E? I do not buy that, my reasoning follows
Donald Hoffman's arguments.

> On another point you claim that "computations are intractable". That may
> be true in some general human math sense but with complete certainty the
> computations that compute the current state of the universe are NOT
> intractable because they actually occur.

Some computations are
intractable<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intractability_(complexity)#Intractability>,
yes. Those that are intractable, have that because of a reason. This wiki
article is good. Read it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_complexity_theory
   One of the best discussions that I have found about intractability and
physics is an article by Stephen Wolfram. I invite you to read it carefully:

http://www.stephenwolfram.com/publications/academic/undecidability-intractability-theoretical-physics.pdf

It is from this article and bits and pieces of ideas from many others that
I was lead to consider that our currently popular definitions of
information and computation are far too narrow and restricted. It is as if
we are stuck in a box and can only see out through a tiny slit and can
never imagine that we are actually stuck in a box in our thinking.

> Edgar
>

> On Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:17:32 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
>> Dear Edgar,
>>
>>   I have a different definition of "reality": what which is
>> incontrovertible<https://www.google.com/search?q=incontravertible&oq=incontravertible&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=incontrovertible&spell=1>for
>>  some collection of mutually communicating observers. I find other
>> definition of the word to be incoherent. Given that, let me respond.
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Edgar L. Owen <edga...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Stephen,
>>
>> I think we need to back up and explore the root of this apparent
>> disagreement.
>>
>> If I understand you you claim there are multiple computational realities
>> while I claim there is only one. Is that correct?
>>

>>   Using the definition above, yes, but I suspect that my take on this
>> question is wildly at odds with yours. My claim is that if one tries to
>> mash all of the content of the observations of all possible observers into
>> a single computation one would get something that is indistinguishable from
>> noise, hardly a computation in the usual sense.
>>
>>    What is my reasoning? Consider a pair of observers, Alice and Bob, in
>> orbit of the Earth, they communicate via a satellite system what has a very
>> narrow channel. Each observes a different side of the Earth. The content of
>> their observations is almost mutually exclusive.
>
>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher