On 6 February 2014 11:36, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 2/5/2014 2:10 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> On 04 Feb 2014, at 18:32, meekerdb wrote:
>
> I have criticized it for it's seeming lack of predictive power - a problem
> with all theories of everythingism so far, and also string theory.
>
> That is a technical issue only. As comp has to predict or re-predict all
> of physics, it is hardly not predictive. In particular, comp + Theaetetus
> already provide the logic of the observable, and up to now, it fits with
> the facts.
>
> Well it's no good saying it *must be* predictive - if it's true.  One can
> say that about many theories - including string theory.
>
> True, but I wouldn't say that's a reason to not pursue theories, either,
or at least not until they seem to have reached a dead end. I imagine most
theories go through a phase where they are being worked out when the
correspondence with experiment and predictive power are still "up for
grabs" - it's just that with string theory that phase has lasted 30+ years
(and counting...)

(!)

Some people think that is dead-ending, of course. You pays your money...