On Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:18:54 PM UTC-5, David Nyman wrote:

> On 16 February 2014 17:48, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
> Ah, but then you would be faced with the questions posed by the UDA/MWI
>>> arguments, because there would then be two conscious "originals" who
>>> claimed equal possession of the same history to that point. That is all you
>>> need for the duplication arguments to go through.
>>>

>> They would each be their own originals, not the same original. In
>> identical twin is as identical as identical can be.
>>

> You are blatantly ignoring the challenge this presents to your contention
> that a conscious person cannot be duplicated in principle, by quibbling
> over the meaning of copy and original. If Craig were the person duplicated
> (whilst asleep, say) and there were then two originals (A and B) each of
> whom laid claim to being Craig with the same history, how would you know
> whether you were A or B?

A single cell can be divided into many, but full grown organism can't be
cut down the middle longitudinally and grow into two separate bodies. Even
as a single cell, mitosis can't be induced by slicing a zygote in half -
the motive for reproduction has to come from the inside out. I don't think
it will ever be possible to duplicate an organism without growing it from
scratch. A cloned brain would have to grow in a vat and would come out as a
new born unique individual (who would have comparable similarity to their
clone parent as an identical twin separated at birth does). The problem is
the assumption that duplication is a possibility in the first place, and
that the barrier to duplication depends on complexity alone. What I'm
saying is that consciousness is an event, not a structure. You cannot
duplicate an event because it is connected to all other events.

Craig