On 3/2/2014 2:38 PM, LizR wrote:
On 3 March 2014 08:33, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    I don't think Tegmark appreciates how much the "laws of physics" depend on
our
    demands that the "laws" be invariant, e.g. conservation of energy is a
consequence
    of requiring the lagrangian to be time-translation invariant.

That isn't a demand, it's an observation. (Made by Emmy Noether, IIRC.)

Noether observed the connection between continuous symmetry in a lagrangian and the existence of a corresponding conserved quantity. But that a lagrangain (or theory in any form) have that character is a "demand"; or at least a strong desiderata. Remember how the neutrino was discovered. If some process seemed to not conserve energy, we'd just look for something new we could count as the energy difference.

    See Vic Stenger's "The Comprehensible Cosmos" for full development of the
idea that
    all of physics can be seen this way.  So the "laws" are the way they are
because we
    make them up to fit the observations and we only want to make them up in
certain
    ways that make them useful for prediction and explanation.

So are you saying that the conservation of energy is no more fundamental to physics than the shape of Africa?

No, I'm saying it's so fundamental we'd reshape Africa to fit. It's almost essential to having a theory that doesn't refer to a particular time, that applies equally at all times.

Brent

Sorry, I don't quite follow what you're saying here (it seems either trivially correct or wrong but I can't tell which!)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.