On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 7:36 AM, <ghib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> why do we get tired

Because we run out of fuel or because of lactic acid buildup in our muscles.

 > Why do we need to sleep?

Probably because we're primarily visual animals and Evolution weeded out
individuals who didn't get sleepy because they wasted energy wandering
around at night and got themselves into serious trouble when they ran into
an animal that was better adapted to the night than they were.

> Why is it, mental fatigue has certain properties that ties fatigue to
> specific mental activities but not other, equally challenging ones?

Because we have determined that some mental tasks are boring. Boredom is a
vitally important emotion, I don't believe any intelligence, electronic or
biological, could exist without boredom because it prevents us from getting
stuck in infinite loops. But it's critical the boredom point be set
correctly, in fact this may be the most difficult part of making an AI. Set
too low and we can't pay attention (I don't want to listen while you tell
me how to properly pack my parachute, it's boring), set too high and we get
stuck in infinite loops (weee.. I love the way that red rubber ball bounces
up and down, I could watch it forever, one, two, three, four....)

  John K Clark