On Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:54:25 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

> On 3/2/2014 8:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >
> > On 02 Mar 2014, at 13:36, ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> >
> >> So, why do we get tired, and why is being tired like the way that it
> is? If its
> >> exhaustion, maybe  up a couple of days, why does it stop being about
> motivation and
> >> becomes that we can't think straight? ass
> >>
> >> Why do we need to sleep? Why do we need to REM sleep in what looks to
> be precise
> >> amounts, which we're not capable of losing ground on (strong evidence
> when people are
> >> prevented REM sleep in the lab over days, they begin to pass out more
> and more easily,
> >> and don't return to normal until all the REM is made up for)
> >> Why is it, mental fatigue has certain properties that ties fatigue to
> specific mental
> >> activities but not other, equally challenging ones? Why is this
> strongly correlated
> >> with how much time a specifc kind of activity has already been focused
> on since last
> >> sleep? Such that 'a change is as good as a rest'.
> >> ion
> >> If computation is intrinsically conscious why aren't we conscious  in
> the vast majority
> >> of our brains, where the vast majority of the heavy lifting goes on?
>  Why aren't we
> >> conscious in our other organs where  sigtinificant computation takes
> place, and is
> >> connected with our brains. When I write a piece of code and run it, why
> aren't I
> >> experiencing the consciousness of the code?  What decides what object
> and experiences
> >> what consciousness,  and why is that stable? If I lie down beside my
> twin, why don't I
> >> sometimes wake up him?
> >>
> >> If computation is intrinsically conscious, where is consciousness
> experienced? How is
> >> facilitated? If a computer is intrinsically conscious, which hardware
> parts are
> >> consciousness, and/or which  hardwaerre parts are required by the
> conscious experience
> >> of software, such that the experience is able to think the next
> thought? The processor?
> >> RAM?
> >>
> >> Given all this hardware is tightly controlled by processes running, and
> given these
> >> processes, and their footprint through the hardware can be precisely
> known, why is the
> >> old Turing needed, or should it be updated to include predictions for
> what an emergent
> >> consciousness would look like, its footprint, CPU use? If computation
> is intrinsically
> >> consciousness why can we account for the footprint of our code, purely
> in terms of, and
> >> exactly
> >>  of that code?

> [...]

Hi Brent - I don't care because I don't think it's true. But if I thought
it was, or might be, I would care.

But whether consciousness is 'how it feels like to be processed' or not, I
still find it hard to understand why no work has been done on the
'footprint' issues, as illustrated above. Surely that's a legitimate line
of enquiry? In your opinion, for example, Turing Test aside, what other
ways might consciousness look different in terms of hardware signature?

Assuming you buy that conventional hardware could run consciousness with
the right software.