All,

In terms of the Permian and Cretaceous extinctions the theory I find most
compelling in both cases is asteroid strikes whose resulting strike
energies were also focused at the antipodes. The energy of the Cretaceous
strike off the Yucatan was focused in India where it ruptured the crust
resulting in the Deccan Traps. The even larger Permian asteroid strike
occurred in the South Pacific and its energy was focused in Siberia where
it ruptured the crust there resulting in the Siberian Traps. The time
frames are roughly consistent though in both cases the traps persisted long
after the asteroid strikes which initiated them.

So in both cases you would have double whammies whose persistent effects
lasted for much longer than the effects of the original asteroid impacts
which initiated them.

Edgar