On 18 Apr 2014, at 22:33, ghib...@gmail.com wrote:

Physorg runs a report today in which brain abnormalities are linked with cannabis use,

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-04-casual-marijuana-linked-brain-abnormalities.html#ajTabs

Sounds pretty serious.

Sure, and we have to take all data into account. What that paper show is just negligible compared to the use of alcohol. Also, they talk about joint, which is not marjiuana, but a mixture tobacco and marijuana, and it is not clear if they have verified that the person did not also drink alcohol. Then all studies I read shows that cannabis augments the number of neurons, and it is not clear in what sense those deformations constitutes a problem.

But, anyway, I don't think it makes any sense to ban a drug, as all studies shows that when it is illegal, you give the market to people who will not ask the ID to their "clients". On the contrary, the criminals will target the kids, and get the mean to sell the drug without any price and quality control. So a proof that cannabis *is* bad for the health is automatically a reason more to make it legal: to protect the kids.

As a teacher, the statistics on the bad effect of alcohol matches the personal experience, but this is not true with cannabis. Having taught more than 40 years, I have never seen any problem with cannabis, but a lot with mixture cannabis/tobacco, and the worst: cannabis + alcohol.

My point is not that cannabis is an "innocent" drug. None are, but my point is based with the comparative dangers between all drugs in the matter of banning them (assuming that makes sense). Cannabis does not kill, unlike aspirin, sugar, chocolate, etc. That comparative aspect needs to be present in all papers on which a political decision can be inspired. In that respect, cannsbis seems the safest psychotropic known today.

You link contains a link which relativize such findings:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-09-association-frequency-marijuana-health-healthcare.html

It is like the discovery that marijuana tar is much more carcinogenic than tobacco tar. That is verified in the laboratory, but not reflected in the population studies, and the reason is that the cancer protection of cannabis might compensate largely its carcinogenic effect.

There were no reason to make cannabis illegal at the start, and there is no reason today. Smoking cannabis remains infinitely less dangerous than breathing in urban environment, or eating non-bio fruits, etc. There are just many things which should be banned before cannabis. But again, the danger of a drug is not a reason to ban it, but to legalize it.

In my country, they have tested free distribution of heroin and needles, and the result were positive: its consumption diminishes, the violence diminishes, the number of AID case diminishes, etc.