On Monday, May 5, 2014 9:12:45 PM UTC-4, Liz R wrote:

> On 3 May 2014 09:39, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:07:13 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:
>>
> Do you believe that mathematical truths are true independent of mind?
>>>
>> I'm not sure what mind is. I understand that nothing can exist
>> independently of sensory experience, including mathematical truths.
>>

> That seems to be a "no". So if things don't exist independently of sensory
> experience, where do they come from when we first observe them? Did the
> planet Uranus not exist before William Herschell observed it?

Yes, Uranus existed before Herschel - Uranus existed before any biological
phenomenon was present on Earth, but that does not mean that the universe
is devoid of sensory experience before that. It does not mean that matter
is something other than a sensory experience. We use a light bulb to create
light locally, but that does not mean that light is produced only by bulbs
or that all light is reducible to the activity of light bulbs.

The view of Pansensitivity that I have is completely indifferent to biology
or human existence. It's indifferent to all possible forms and functions
also. The idea is that beneath every 'p' there must first be an a priori
aesthetic (sensory) context and an a priori motive to alter that context.
The consequence of the sense>motive>sense^2 relation is minimally necessary
for any number, logical proposition, statement, 'thing', etc. Before
anything can be said to 'exist' there must first be a capacity to 1)
discern a difference between existence and non-existence, 2) make such a
difference, and 3) *appreciate* having made the difference. I consider
these three aspects to be different from each other in one sense and parts
of the same primordial/irreducible identity in another.