On 2 July 2014 10:57, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 7/1/2014 3:43 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  My question is: Does Eternal Inflation make expansion the result of
> fundamental physics? E.I. appears to be time asymmetric
>
>  It's not asymmetric.  In the Carroll-Chen model universes have a minimal
> point and "expand" in both directions, as measured in physical time.  In
> coordinate time, it's universe that contracts to a few Planck volumes and
> the re-expands.  Coordinate time is just a label in the equations - so you
> can say they "really" expand, even though the mathematics are symmetric.

Ah yes, that's interesting. Not that I am an expert on anti de-Sitter space
and all that, but it looks to my limited understanding as though they are
saying that eternal inflation is somehow occurring in a timeless (or
perhaps time-symmetric) manner, and big bangs define their own time
direction.  I suspected the latter but couldn't quite grok the former,
maybe because the word "inflation" seems to imply a biult in AOT.

At some point I will get around to reading this, and hopefully understand
the idea better as a result...

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0410270v1.pdf