On 7 July 2014 20:13, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> So no, there's no "heresy" involved in such an idea
> unless, IMHO, it is a blind for eliminativism.
>

> Why? Is eliminativism then the heresy?  I'm not even sure what
> 'eliminativism' means in this context.  You seem to argue that reductive
> hierarchy in physics eliminates the explananda, but in Bruno's theory the
> reductive hierarchy does not?  I don't think anything is necessarily
> eliminated by explaining it.

But the unfortunate thing is that it is indeed eliminated when it is
explained reductively. And so you might well say that elimination is the
reductionist heresy. I'd be grateful, by the way, if you could be more
explicit about your reasons for disagreement than merely stating that you
"don't think" I'm right. When I'm wrong (which is doubtless all too
frequently) it would be helpful to know in what particulars. Anyway, what I
originally had in mind was limited to the tacit elimination of the
first-person that occurs in the exhaustive reduction of 'consciousness' to
physical action. But actually, in the course of this discussion, It's borne
in on me, with greater force than before, that it isn't only the
first-person that is eliminated in the course of reductive explanation, but
the entire third-person hierarchy above the basement level.

No explanandum of the "hierarchy" can be other than a proxy for its
basement-level reduction, in essentially the same sense that "society" is a
proxy for persons and their relations. So there must be something "wrong in
the state of reductionism", at least in this "bare" form. And if Bruno's
theory were indeed similarly susceptible to bare reduction, the same
criticism would apply. Reductive explanation is like some flesh-eating
microbe - it eats away the structure as it reduces it, until nothing but
the bare explanatory bones remain. That indeed is its power. But, in this
bare form it can't stand alone as a theory of everything, because
manifestly everything does not appear in the form of a bare reduction. So
we need an explanatory "vaccine" against the microbe of reduction.

I've already said why I believe that Bruno's theory does indeed provide
such a vaccine, essentially by (partly) formalising the relation between
the One and the Many. The One, which I guess is represented here by
Arithmetical Truth, has many modes. These modes can be distinguished (in
part) by reference to detailed character of what appears in the many
points-of-view that are consequential on the self-referential capabilities
of "universal computation". The fact that the latter requires us to assume
arithmetic, or something with equivalent combinatorial power, as a minimal
"ontology", does not mean that the explanatory strategy then proceeds by
reference to any simple "hierarchy of numbers". Of course it is crucial to
the success of this explanatory strategy that a 'physics' emerge as
statistically dominant in these views (indeed, precisely that subset of the
computational 'everything' that is capable of instantiating the manifest
phenomena) and *that physics* will indeed appear as hierarchically
reducible. But such a physics of appearance will in addition be
inextricably bound to modes of self-referential truth that resist such
reduction (the 'internal views').

None of this means that comp per se is true of course, but I suspect this
whole "comp contra reduction" thing is worthy of a thread by itself.

David