From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 6:29 am
Subject: Re: What's the answer? What's the question?

On 04 Jul 2014, at 20:33, meekerdb wrote:

> On 7/4/2014 9:12 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Wouldn't that depend on what the non-literal reading is?  I think
>>> what you mean is that there is always some non-literal reading
>>> that is not threatened by science...or by logic, or by empathy, or
>>> by anything else you care to name, because "non-literal" is just
>>> "not what it says".  "Mein Kampf" is also consistent with good
>>> race relations, on a non-literal reading.
>>
>> 'Mein Kampf' contains hate. Hate is always literal,
>
> Is that from the Marchal dictionary of the Engligh language?
>

>> or you are in a Charlie Chaplin movie.
>
> Or in the Christian bible:
>
> Proverbs 6:16, 19 These six things doth the LORD hate ... A false
> witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
>
> Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and
> mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and
> his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
>
> With sufficient non-literalism these become "God is love".

let us do theology seriously instead of referring to fairy tales. You
confirm what I said to John Clark. Atheist defend the God of the
bible. Read Plotinus, forget the bible, unless you find some passage
you like and which inspire you, but that is private, don't make that
public.

>> You can study the deep non literal meaning in a book like Aldous
>> Huxley "philosophia perennis". You can sum it by "Plato might be
>> right", or "the laws of physics might have a deeper reason, perhaps
>> even a purpose".
>
> When the meaning is "deeply non-literal" isn't is likely that it's
> your own ideas you are imposing on the book.

Understanding something is always a question of reducing or
representing it to what you already understand.

>> The institutionalist religions are as far of religion than the
>> today politics of health is from health. For basically the same
>> reason (stealing people's money).
>>
>> A scientist interested in religion will always read a "sacred text"
>> with the same equanimity than reading a "salvia divinorum" report.
>
> Equanamity is not the same thing as giving it a non-literal meaning.

It consists in remaining open to all interpretations possible.

>> Religion, like nationalities, have also social identity role,
>> indeed very often perverted, and we (the scientists) have to keep
>> calm and try hard to not throw the unsolved questions when
>> abstracting from the fairy tales and legends associated with some
>> plausible, or not, contact between humans beliefs and truth.
>
> And to be careful not to insert our hopes and wishes in place of the
> fairy tales.

Yes. Nobody claims that it is easy. That is one reason more to
encourage the reasoning and skeptical attitudes, especially in
fundamental studies, like the theological one.

By deciding that theology is automatically bullshit, we just
perpetuate the institutional bullshit, a bit like making drug
forbidden, we create and and make bigger the illicit drug markets
which control and target the kids.

Bruno