On 9/22/2014 12:07 AM, Kim Jones wrote:
On 22 Sep 2014, at 3:21 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

That's why he can say consciousness is all-or-nothing (potentialities are
all-or-nothing).  That's why he thinks an infant is more conscious than an
adult - it has more potential (but less realization).  That's why he thinks
losing all your memories would leave you with the same consciousness.

That's all follows from his definition and it's OK, although it's not the common meaning of
"conscious".  What's not OK is to then rely on the intuition that everybody knows what
consciousness is and that no one can seriously doubt it's existence.  Those statements are true of
common usage of "conscious", but not necessarily true of Bruno's definition.

Brent
Are we not conflating slightly (to be) conscious - the fact of being aware and sensate;
experiencing "being" as it were.....with "consciousness" that woolly
philosophical football? I think even in comman usage we don't do that. I am conscious of this or
that. My consciousness is kind of my whole psyche (whatever that is - could be the whole universe
or a lotus blossum or whatever).

Bruno merely asserts that nobody can mistake the fact that they exist.

Some people do, but it's considered pathological. But Bruno does more than merely assert this. He then uses the same word, "conscious" in a different, technical sense as a potential property of an axiomatic system. And then he applies conclusions drawn from the technical sense to common sense meaning. This is isn't necessarily wrong, but as an argument it leaves a big gap.

Brent

To be conscious is to experience "being". My "consciousness" on the other hand, is the "me" the
self, the subject, the "I" - you could probably say "soul" if you wanted to allude to the fact that this
platonic thing you are is immortal.