On 09 Oct 2014, at 21:06, Samiya Illias wrote:

On 09-Oct-2014, at 11:42 pm, Platonist Guitar Cowboy <multiplecit...@gmail.com > wrote:

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Samiya Illias <samiyaill...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm. Please read this blogpost and let me know if this meets your 'demonstrating factual accuracy in this sense here, of course.':
http://signsandscience.blogspot.com/2014/06/dhu-al-qarnayn-polar-regions-of-earth.html?m=1

You changed the subject and focus. Why?

I did not refer to your blog but to this:

http://www.foundalis.com/rlg/Quran_and_science.htm

You said you disagree and I asked why, which you ignored.

In the foundalis link you sent, under 1.2, it quotes Quran Chapter 18 and goes on to discuss the verses in it. It discusses Dhul Qarnayn's travels. Therefore I sent my blogpost' link. I have presented my study and interpretation of other aspects of Chapter 18 also in my blog listed under blog archive. I sent that link just as an example. If you find the approach not critical enough, perhaps you can do it in a more scientific manner, if it interests you. I can critically try to understand the Quran, looking up meanings and science research on the topic, but I cannot take the falsifiable approach simply because I'm convinced that the Arabic text of the Quran is from God, the Master-Creator, while scientific knowledge is what we are discovering. So, for me personally, the scripture takes precedence.

This is problematic. You leave the scientific attitude, and you make a quasi infinite argument per authority error. Like the catholic church which at least condemn literalism. You might be the one doing the blasphemy, asserting knowing a public relationship with god.

It is equivalent with: by definition I do right and you do wrong. Your literalism is equivalent with insulting all believers not sharing your assumption, pursuing different ways.

It would be more appropriate to search on what we all share about God.

I advocate the scientific attitude in theology. Literalism does not help. How could we ever "religare" the literalists in different traditions? How can you be literalist about a subject as complex as God, known for having no real name, no image, being inconceivable, etc. Your attitude prevents the doubt which makes possible the progress. I think.

Bruno

Samiya

Concerning your link, I'd see that as less on-topic for following simple reason:

That's interpretation without a critical position against it, and this is perhaps why there is a disconnect between some of your claims and how some members, including myself, react.

A positive aspect of science is that, when done correctly, we are not forced to trust interpretations. That's why it would be more instructive for me to see you address the points in the Foundalis link, rather than what you have interpreted and convinced yourself of already.

It creates perspective, that would enrich your points perhaps. As a tool, science tests ideas and reasoning; and contrasting a perspective that differs from yours, and you refuting it, would tell me much more than personal interpretation you link to above. PGC

Samiya

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com .

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.