On 16 Oct 2014, at 18:27, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/16/2014 12:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 16 Oct 2014, at 04:00, meekerdb wrote:

Bruno seems to think that if you fail to believe in the existence of Santa Claus you must have a definite idea of what "Santa Claus" refers to and therefore you do believe in Santa Claus. A curious inference for a logician.

Brent, are you trying to compete with John Clark, in attributing me things I have never said.

All what I said is that Atheists and Christian defend the same conception of God. The atheists defend that conception so that they can announce proudly to the world that there is NO god. And doing so, they share the literalism of the fundamentalist christians.

The don't "defend the concept",

The Atheists (the strong non agnostic one) asks we keep all the religious term in the sense of one particular religion, lthough there are variant: the ultra-string atheists believes all the terms of any religion/theology makes no sense.

they accept that usage defines the word.

I am not sure you can extrapolate this for the spiritual domain. I remind you one of my favorite meta-axiom about God. It has no name. Plotinus was aware of the difficulty, but is almost valid in his explanation of how we can use word as pointer to what we can either not know, or, in some sense, know to much intimately to figure out a name or a description.

And when careful in philosophical discourse they make it explicit that they mean the god the theism, to distinguish this from the god of deism and from abstract principles of organization and love and all the other things that people have said are "god"

Yes. That is nice. But then why all the fuss, given that I made also explicit that I am talking of the God in the large sense of the greeks, those who made science including theology. That sense was already encompassing the theories of the Indians, the jews, the zoroastrians.

In science we adopt often large sense to start the research. God is the big interrogation point, in that large sense. The God of physicalism (not of the physicists necessarily) is a primary physical universe/matter.
The God of the Christians and Muslims is the God of the bible.
All civilisation have been concerned by such notions, sometimes with many gods and goddesses.

The term "God" is universally used by everyone to denote the one responsible (in some variate sense) for what happens, and that we don't understand.

Saying there is no such God is equivalent with we have understood everything, the rest are technical details.

in order to manipulate others or comfort themselves.

In the theology of the Gnostics (ate the time of Plotinus), God is both incompetent and a bad guy.

The idea that God is good is in Plato, but I am not sure if that idea is not much older.

With comp, from the machine views it is hard to say truth is good, but it might be better than the lies. I dunno.